Tuesday, August 13, 2013

37 - Frank Baumholtz (The Midvale Marvel)







This is Frank Baumholtz of Midvale.  The 1937 high school season was the last for one of the top stars coming out of Tuscarawas County.  After graduation he moved on to star in basketball at Ohio University.  After his graduation there, he was to go on to play professional basketball and then professional baseball.  He starred for the Cincinnati Reds, Chicago Cubs and Philadelphia Phillies.  Hat tip to one of my readers, Randy Miller, who played basketball and baseball for the Garaway Pirates.  If it wasn't for him I would never have known about Baumholtz. I collected baseball cards when I was a kid and now wish I had known about Frank then as I would have placed his card along with my Mickey Mantle cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment